FAQ – Setup
- Should I buy a ‘Kinect for XBox’ or a ‘Kinect for Windows’ device?
The current drivers should support both although the ‘Kinect for Windows’ specific features like near mode for example won’t be accessible.
- I get one of these errors: “Error initializing OpenNI context” or “Error setting up color production node”
Something is wrong with your drivers or OpenNI install go back to step 1 of the installation instructions
- I get this error: “Error initializing NITE production node”
Something is wrong with your NITE install, go back to step 4 of the installation instructions
- Any other tips for getting a better framerate on a slow machine
- close any other programs
- disable the pointcloud (you’ll lose extended track for wrists but the basic (NITE) skeleton will still track
- close the window displaying the color/infrared stream
- close the window displaying the depth stream
- when streaming into MotionBuilder run that on a different machine from Brekel Kinect, and stream data over a network
- Where should I place my Kinect
The coordinate system is all relative to the Kinect device, so make sure you place it level with the ground.
Tracking seems to work rougly between 1.5 and 4 meters from the sensor.
- What range can I expect
The sensor can measure depths between approximately 0.5 to 10 meters, skeletons are up to 4 meters as beyond that the quality drops too much.
For a typical setup you can expect to track a body between 1.5 and 4 meters from the sensor, and about 2-3 steps from side to side.
- It runs really slow or with a great lag
Brekel Kinect uses multiple threads in order to do all the heavy processing in realtime, this seems to be too much for your machine.
When you’re running on a system with both a low and a high performance graphics processor(an NVidia Optimas laptop for example) make sure u use the high performance graphics processor.
- Why shouldn’t I connect my Kinect through a USB hub?
The Kinect is streaming 2 video streams of 640x480x30fps, that reaches the limit of what a USB2 connection can handle.
In order to prevent bandwidth issues you should connect your Kinect directly to a USB port on your machine.
- ▼Brekel Kinect (free)
- ▶Brekel Kinect Pro Body
- ▶Brekel Kinect Pro Face
- ▶Brekel Kinect Pro PointCloud